New Orleans Gold – William Waguespack
The New Orleans Gold Rugby Club signed New Orleans native William Waguespack to play in the inaugural Major League Rugby season.
William attended Jesuit High School in New Orleans form 2012-2016. He played rugby his Junior and Senior year at Jesuit, captaining the team his Senior year. During the Spring 2016 season, he played in South Regional Cup Tournament for Louisiana in Matthews, North Carolina.
After graduating high school, he attended the University of Louisiana at Lafayette from 2016 through 2017. He is a lock but played a few games at flyhalf at the College to maximize handling the ball during a match. The Rajin Cajuns are part of the Deep South Rugby Conference.
His strong rugby performances were noticed at the national level. He was selected to the AIG Junior All-Americans Development team, which played a two-match Series against Canada on Dec 30, 2016, and Jan 2, 2017.
Playing professional rugby with the New Orleans Gold will be a balancing act. William will take classes at the University of New Orleans while playing for the Gold. When talking about his new team he said that “I am very excited for the opportunity to play in the inaugural season of the Major League Rugby and to play at such a high level of rugby.”
New Orleans Gold Rugby
- Nate Osborne – Head Coach
- Todd Fitzgerald – Assistant Head Coach & Assistant General Manager
- Sebastián Kalm – Backrow
- Moni Tongauiha – Center
- Hubert Buydens – Loosehead prop
- Eric Howard – Hooker
- Ratu Peceli Rinakama – Flyhalf, Scrum-half, Wing, Fullback
- Bobby Johns – Center, Flyhalf, Scrumhalf
- Matt Hughston – Center, Flanker
- Jojo Tikoisuva – Wing
- Tim Falcon – Owner
- JP Eloff – Flyhalf, Center, Fullback
- Ryan Fitzgerald – General Manager
- Holden Youngert – Scrum-half
- Michael Baska – Fullback
- Derrek Van Klein – Loosehead Prop
- Alex Czajkowski – Lock
- William Waguespack – Lock