September 12, 2016
Saint Joseph’s Men’s Rugby Wins Against West Chester
Photo: West Chester Rugby
Dan Yarusso, Saint Joseph’s University Head Men’s Rugby Coach, provided a match recap below.
In the first half, captain Jimmy Wolfer (’17) got the Hawks on the board early with a penalty kick to give them a 3-0 lead. The penalty kick was followed by a dazzling try from Greg McTiernan (’17) who slipped several tacklers to shake free and dash across the goal line for the first try of the game. Perhaps the most exciting scores of the game came from Wolfer and Connor McAuliffe (’19). Wolfer would pick off a West Chester pass and take it 60 meters for a score. Likewise, McAuliffe would intercept a pass at the Hawks goal line to go 99M for a score to close out the half. In the second half, West Chester took advantage of a Hawks player in the bin (repeated infringement) and worked their way for a score in the corner. The Hawks would answer back when Wolfer scored another try after being set up by Noah Niumataiwalu (’20). West Chester would cross over the Hawks goal line one final time and at the final whistle the score would be in favor of the Hawks 38-14.
The Hawks will have their final preseason match this Friday, September 16 against Temple University. They open Keystone Rugby Conference play of September 24.
Saint Joseph’s Expanded Roster
- Front Row: Michael Weber, Matt Zebrowski, Ed Flannery, Matt Raimondo, Brendan Shields
- Locks: Kevin Christian, George Harris
- Back Row: Justin Young, Tom Curivan, Collin Johnson, Jack Hicklin, Phillip Leonetti, Ryan Stickno
- Scrumhalf/Flyhalf: Patrick Ryan, Noah Niumataiwalu, Dylan Hanrahan, Liam McGowan
- Centers: Aram Keshgegian, Jimmy Wolfer (c), Chad McMahon
- Back Three: Chris Curcio, Greg McTiernan, Connor McAuliffe, Mike Hoffman, Matt Lydon, Finn Tuite