May 30, 2016
Chicago Lions Select Two 7s Coaches & Seek XVs
Photo: Chicago Lions RFC Logo
The Chicago Lions RFC have new head sevens coaches in David Fee and Jeremy Nash for the Men’s & Women’s Sevens Sides, respectively. They also seek a head coach for the Men’s XVs for the Fall, 2016.
The Chicago Lions released coaching descriptions of their new coaches, as well as the selection criteria for the head XVs coach and is found below.
The Chicago Lions are thrilled to bring local talent David Fee on board as the new Men’s 7s Head Coach! David is from the South Side of Chicago and began playing rugby in 1997. At Lake Forest College, David excelled as a member of the football and rugby teams. After college, David would eventually go on to join the Chicago Lions from 2002 to 2004. Fee represented the Lions as a member of the USA Eagles 2003 Rugby World Cup Team and appeared in a World Cup for the USA 7s team as well.
David is currently serving as head coach of the University of Notre Dame Men’s 7s program, leading them into another Collegiate Rugby Championship Tournament appearance in Philadelphia on June 4th and 5th (airing on NBC and NBC Sports). He currently serves as the USA Men’s Junior All-American coach as well. David will rejoin the Lions in a full-time coaching role on June 6th.
David obviously brings a wealth of both playing and coaching knowledge to the Lions. He is excited to continue to build upon the Lions storied 7s program and we couldn’t be more pleased to have him as our leader!
Hailing from Seattle, Washington, Jeremy began playing rugby at the age of 12 with the Seattle Rugby Club. In college at the University of Washington, Jeremy excelled on the national stage. He won the ITT 7s National Championship with the Pacific Coast Grizzlies (was also a two-time selection to both the Pacific Coast Grizzlies Collegiate and Men’s XVs Teams), and won an ITT XVs National Championship with the Midwest Thunderbirds. Jeremy owns two USA Eagles Caps and was a USA 7s Camp Member. He was also a member of the 2007 Chicago Lions USA Club 7s National Championship Side.
Jeremy’s coaching career started where his playing career left off, with the Chicago Lions. As coach of the men’s team, Nash was three from three in leading the group to National Championship Tournament berths from 2013-2015. 2013 and 2014 saw only one loss in all of Midwest qualifying play, and the Lions won the Midwest in those years. The 2013 season ended with a fourth place finish at nationals.
The Lady Lions also earned three straight National Championship Tournament appearances from 2013 to 2015 under Nash’s leadership. A Cup Quarterfinal appearance in 2013 gave way to a Plate Championship in 2014 for a fifth-in-the-nation finish. The Lions earned another Cup Quarterfinal appearance in 2015.
We are very excited to have Nash back to continue leading the women’s program as perennial national championship contenders!
Chicago Lions Rugby Club Head Rugby XVs Coaching Search
The Chicago Lions Rugby Club are seeking a Head XVs Coach for the Fall 2016 season. The Head Coach will be expected to lead all rugby aspects of the Lions’ XVs program, which competes in the Midwest Premier Rugby League and USA Rugby Men’s Division 1.
The Lions were established in 1964 and are one of the oldest and most successful US clubs, consistently competing at the highest level of US club competition. The Lions have an extensive alumni network, a committed Executive Committee and volunteer support, deep connections to the local community. In addition, the Lions recently broke ground on a multimillion dollar “ rugby-centric” sports complex only a few miles from the city center.
Expectations and Responsibilities:
- Develop and lead, with support from assistant coaches and managers, a comprehensive rugby training program consistent with competing for Midwest and National Championships.
- Establish and model, with support from Executive Committee and senior players, a club culture of respect, hard work, and accountability
- Plan and execute training sessions.
- Develop and implement a Club-wide playing system.
- Coordinate, with support, a recruiting program to ensure competitiveness and sustainability.
- Coordinate, with support, the planning and development of a competitive second side (either reserve grade or lower division) program.
- Head coaching experience in the US at club or college Division 1 or higher, or international equivalent
- Playing and/or coaching experience at a regional or national select side level
- USA Rugby Level 200 Coaching Certificate, or international equivalent
- US citizen or green card holder preferred, international non-visa holding applicants will be considered
- Competitive Annual Salary
- Housing allowance
- Employment assistance
- Performance bonuses
How to Apply:
Submit resume and short cover letter by email to: email@example.com