Worcester Ladies In 4th As Women’s Premiership Playoffs End

January 20, 2016

Worcester Ladies In 4th As Women’s Premiership Playoffs End


Photo: Andy Gill of Samantha Bree

Worcester Ladies RFC Press Release: Match Report by Dave Guest, Jan. 17, 2016

Lichfield 22-12 Worcester

Games between these local rivals are usually close, hard fought affairs and despite the score line, this game engaged the supporters until the final minute.

Arriving at Cobham RFC in what appeared to Narnia with snow covered pitches, Worcester were determined to put the previous week’s poor performance behind them. However, the game did not start well for them with Lichfield retaining ball and driving towards the Worcester goal line with great intensity. This early pressure saw Lichfield open their account on just 6 minutes.

Undaunted, Worcester struck back and put their opponent’s under similar pressure for Lisa Campbell to level the scores on 16 minutes with a rampaging run and Sam Bree gave them the lead with the conversion.

From then on the half it was battle of attrition, both teams giving no quarter with Worcester having the better chances, but failing to capitalise on their field position and possession at critical moments.

Against the run of play and in the 39th minute, Worcester were turned over at the breakdown having committed too many players to the situation, exposing themselves with little defence on the wing. Lichfield spotted the opportunity, moved the ball quickly through hands to the wing and scored in the corner.

With a half time score of 7 -10, Worcester were still very much in the game, but Lichfield began to take the initiative after the break with Harriet Millar-Mills and Millie Wood prominent. Worcester were struggling to contain Wood in the centre and as a result Lichfield were rewarded by a further try on 49 minutes.

Worcester struck back with some impressive passages of play in which Campbell, Rocky Clark and Helena Bunce were always involved. Their efforts were rewarded on 75 minutes with second try from Campbell to bring game well with reach of Worcester. The final minutes of the game were contested at a ferocious pace with Worcester pressing forward to get the victory, but as so often happens in these situations with players committed to all-out attack and time on the clock expired, they were turned over, allowing Harriet Millar- Mills to burst through the centre and score under the posts on 82 minutes. Sarah Nicolas took the extras from in front of the post to provide a cruel ending for Worcester and sweet success for Lichfield.

Both teams must be commended for their attacking brand of rugby and commitment, and Lichfield congratulated for claiming 3rd place in the league.
Worcester premiership season has now ended, but they go forward into the Senior Cup.

Worcester’s 2nd team gave an impressive and determined performance at home on Saturday evening against 3rd placed Bridgnorth in National League Midlands 2, to gain a credible 15-15 draw. Worcester lead for much of the game but when Bridgnorth introduced player coach, and former Worcester player Darel Poole with 20 minute of the game remaining, the balance of play swung in favour of the visitors. None the less, coach Ryan Forshaw will have been encouraged by the commitment and skill shown throughout the 80 minutes which bodes well for the second half the season.

The 2nd team travel to Deeping next Sunday aiming to carry their recent good form forwards.

Both Worcester teams would like to thank their supporters who turned out in considerable numbers for these games in not the best spectator conditions.


About Author

North American Rugby News With A USA Slant