September 25, 2015
September 27, 2015
Scotland v USA, Pool B, Elland Road, Leeds, Kickoff 14:30 – 9:30am ET
Referee: Chris Pollock; Assistant Referee: John Lacey, Mike Fraser; TV Match Official: Ben Skeen
Scotland makes 10 changes in their lineup that won against Japan. Grant Gilchrist, John Hardie, Finn Russell, Mark Bennett, and Stuart Hogg start again. This will be Scotland youngest side at under 27 years and has the least experience of any of the teams that has played yet. Their 273 caps total for the starting XV is lower than Namibia’s 289 caps against New Zealand. Scotland currently leads the Pool at 1-0.
Greig Laidlaw gets a rest. He and 4 others, have scored more points in their test careers than Scotland’s starting XV added together.
Mike Tolkin has made one change from his lineup that lost to Samoa. Phil Thiel replaces Zach Fenoglio at Hooker. This is their fewest changes since 2007.
Chris Wyles and Takudzwa Ngwenya will start their ninth World Cup match. Only Mike McDonald (11) and Alec Parker (10) have more Rugby World Cup caps. Wyles has 28 World Cup points and needs two more to move into second place in team history behind Mike Hercus (77).
Mike Tolkin “We have the capability to do some dynamic things with ball in hand, with both power and pace. We’d like to be able to make this a more consistent, potent weapon.” (USA Rugby)
Universal Sports will broadcast the match live at 9pm ET. Will the Eagles gain their first win over a Tier 1 nation?
Scotland Ranked 12th: HC Vern Cotter Starters: 1. Ryan Grant 2. Fraser Brown 3. Jon Welsh 4. Richie Gray 5. Grant Gilchrist 6. Alasdair Strokosch 7. John Hardie
8. Josh Strauss 9. Henry Pyrgos (c) 10. Finn Russell 11. Tim Visser 12. Peter Horne
13. Mark Bennett 14. Sean Maitland 15. Stuart Hogg Replacements: 16. Ross Ford
17. Alasdair Dickinson 18. Willem Nel 19. Tim Swinson 20. Ryan Wilson 21. Greig Laidlaw 22. Duncan Weir 23. Matt Scott
USA Ranked 16th: HC Mike Tolkin Starters: 1. Eric Fry 2. Phil Thiel 3. Titi Lamositele 4. Hayden Smith 5. Greg Peterson 6. Al McFarland 7. Andrew Durutalo
8. Samu Manoa 9. Mike Petri 10. AJ MacGinty 11. Blaine Scully 12. Thretton Palamo
13. Seamus Kelly 14. Takudzwa Ngwenya 15. Chris Wyles (c) Replacements: 16. Zach Fenoglio (H) 17. Oli Kilifi (P) 18. Chris Baumann (P) 19. Cam Dolan (L) 20. John Quill (F) 21. Danny Barrett (8) 22. Shalom Suniula (SH/FH) 23. Folau Niua (C)