LA Giltinis beat Rugby New York 43-0 on Sunday, April 10 at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum to win the Champagne Cup.
It was a dominant effort for the Giltinis as they scored six tries and won their fourth straight match, moving them into second place in the Western Conference.
For Rugby New York it was a day of attrition, with players exiting due to HIAs and other injuries. It is hoped that Andrew Coe, who was knocked out after contact with a knee to the head, recovers quickly.
Rugby New York remains in third place in the Eastern Conference and has a bye week before hosting the New England Free Jacks on April 24.
The Giltinis host the Houston SaberCats next week.
A replay of the match is available on The Rugby Network.
The Giltinis opened the scoring with a Christian Poidevin try following a maul, with Orene Ai’i’s conversion wide, 5-0.
New York attacked with multiple phases, but a knock on thwarted their effort. Will Tucker left early with an HIA and was replaced by Joe Basser.
Following an attacking scrum from 8 meters, Hanco Germishuys scored a try with Ai’i adding the extras, 12-0.
New York add a second player exiting early with Jason Emery replaced by Jack Heighton.
LA added another try by Harrison Goddard under the posts after a strong run by Ben LeSage and a bonus point try by DJustice Sears-Duro before the break with Ai’i converting again, 26-0.
Rugby New York went through phases and an apparent try by Ed Fidow was ruled that he stepped into touch prior to grounding. A penalty advance gave New York an attacking scrum. A repeat infringement sent Sears-Duru to the bin, but New York could not capitalize, as a ball went forward off the hands of a player.
The Giltinis extended their lead to 29-0 after a scrum penalty led to an Ai’i penalty goal.
There was concern throughout the stadium when Andrew Coe slipped and collided with a knee, rendering him unconscious. He was carted off the field and our thoughts that he is alright.
New York looked on the verge of scoring after going through multiple phases before a knock on deep inside LA territory turned the ball over.
Rugby New York had another HIA with Wilton Rebolo exiting and Kaleb Geiger returning to the match at hooker. Soon after, Les Leuluaialii-Makin was sent to the bin.
The Giltinis added a fifth try after a pop pass by Luke White to John Ryberg in the 64th minute. Troy Lockyear was injured on the play and after Luke Burton slotted the conversation, Lockyear left the match with the team playing down a man for the rest of the match.
Ryberg would add another try seven minutes later after picking up a loose ball. Burton then added the extras to lead 43-0.
Rugby New York had one final attempt to avoid a shutout, but could not score.
With the win, the Giltinis reclaimed the Champagne Cup.
Photo: Getty Images
Squads with Player Article Links
LA GILTINIS: 1 Djustice Sears-Duru 2 Joe Taufete’e 3 Charlie Abel 4 Luke White 5 Dave Dennis (C) 6 Nathan Den Hoedt 7 Christian Poidevin 8 Hanco Germishuys 9 Harrison Goddard 10 Orene Ai’i 11 Adam Channel Will Chambers 12 Billy Meakes 13 Ben LeSage 14 John Ryberg 15 Jordan Trainor 16 Andrew Tuala 17 Les Leuluaialii-Makin 18 Marco Fepulea’i 19 Corey Thomas Zach Bonte 20 Cyrillic Cama 21 Tas Smith 22 Luke Burton 23 Tom Mitchell
Rugby New York: 1 Nic Mayhew 2 Kaleb Geiger 3 Kalolo Tuiloma 4 Nate Brakeley (C) 5 Charlie Hewitt 6 Will Tucker 7 Ben Bonasso 8 Kara Pryor 9 Conor McManus 10 Sam Windsor 11 Ed Fidow 12 Jason Emery13 Faasiu Fuatai 14 Andrew Coe 15 Troy Lockyear 16 Wilton Rebolo 17 Chance Wenglewski 18 Sak Taulafo 19 Dylan Fawsitt 20 Joe Basser 21 Andy Ellis 22 Jack Heighton 23 Quinn Ngawati
Rugby New York: Record 6-3, 30 points
- Houston SaberCats 7-10 Rugby New York, Match Preview
- Rugby ATL 31-36 Rugby New York, Match Preview
- Dallas Jackals 5-41 Rugby New York, Match Preview
- Rugby New York 29-38 New England Free Jacks, Match Preview
- Rugby New York 26-23 San Diego Legion, Match Preview
- NOLA Gold 19-30 Rugby New York Match Preview
- Rugby New York 10-14 Toronto Arrows Match Preview
- Rugby New York 35-31 Old Glory DC Match Preview
- LA Giltinis 43-0 Rugby New York Match Preview
- Rugby New York vs New England Free Jacks (April 24)
- Rugby New York vs NOLA Gold (May 1)
- Toronto Arrows vs Rugby New York (May 8)
- Rugby New York vs Seattle Seawolves (May 15)
- Rugby New York vs Rugby ATL (May 22)
- Old Glory vs Rugby New York (May 29)
- New England Free Jacks vs Rugby New York (June 3)
LA Giltinis 7-3, 29 points
- Houston SaberCats 21-11 LA Giltinis
- Toronto Arrows 16-31 LA Giltinis
- LA Giltinis 19-15 New England Free Jacks
- Austin Gilgronis 22-9 LA Giltinis
- LA Giltinis 19-28 Utah Warriors
- LA Giltinis 26-13 San Diego Legion
- Seattle Seawolves 12-31 LA Giltinis
- LA Giltinis 47-7 Dallas Jackals
- LA Giltinis 43-0 Rugby New York Match Preview
- LA Giltinis vs Houston SaberCats April 16
DJCoil Rugby articles by Doug Coil are also available on Facebook. Other Social Media sites to follow or subscribe to include Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube for interviews.