LA Giltinis hosts Rugby New York on Sunday, April 10 at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. The kickoff is at 4 pm ET with the Giltiinis Academy playing the American Raptors in a preliminary match. Tickets are available, and for those who can’t attend, the match will be streamed internationally on The Rugby Network and broadcast on Fox Sports 2 as well as on Bally Sports Socal.
Both teams are in third place in their respective conferences with the Los Angeles Giltinis having a 5-3 record and 24 points, which is 2 and 4 points behind San Diego Legion and Austin Gilgronis in the Western Conference. Rugby New York’s record is 6-2 with 30 points and trails Rugby ATL by point differential and the New England Free Jacks with a 7-1 record and 33 points entering the weekend.
The Giltinis won the MLR Shield last year, but their undefeated start in 2021 was halted when the team played at Cochrane Field in Jersey City. This year’s match takes place at home with the team having three consecutive wins.
The team utilizes ball movement to create overlaps, with support runners ready to take inside-ball. Their attack challenges even the best teams and the use of tactical kicking tires to gain an advantage in their opponents’ territory.
The LA Giltinis had three players selected to the Week 9 MLR First XV. They are loosehead prop Andrew Tuala, lock Luke White, and scrumhalf Tas Smith.
Head Coach Steven Hoiles has made six changes in the starters with Djustice Sears-Duru and Charlie Abel, the props, and Hanco Germishuys at No.8. Harrison Goddard is the scrumhalf, Adam Channel the left-wing, and Ben LeSage the outside center with Billy Meakes shifting to inside-center.
Reserve changes include Andrew Tuola shifting from Loosehead prop to Hooker, Les Leuluaialii-Makin at Loosehead, and Marco Fepulea’i at tighthead. Thomas is a lock and Tom Mitchell can cover wing or fullback.
Billy Meakes is first in the league in meters made with 868, and Hanco Germishuys is among the league try scorers with 5 tries.
Rugby New York
Rugby New York has had the best road record in the league and is 4-0 this year. While the travel between coasts can be grueling, expect New York to be up to the task of facing a quality Giltiinis team. Expect a fast-paced high scoring match with quick ball movement.
New York has two of the MLR try leaders in wings Ed Fidow and Andrew Coe, with 4 tries apiece. The team is also dangerous from short-range, often scoring from mauls. Both lineouts and scrums are strengths, as well as creating turnovers at the breakdown.
The team will need to minimize handling errors and penalties which have stopped scoring opportunities.
Head Coach Marty Veale has made four changes in the starters with Kaleb Geiger and Kalolo Tuisoma at hooker and tighthead prop, respectively. Kara Pryor returns at No.8 and Conor McManus is at scrumhalf. Jack Heighton also returns to the matchday squad in the reserves.
Last week, Jason Emery was selected for the Week 9 MLR First XV. Ed Fidow is third in the league in carrying meters with 709.
Squads with Player Article Links
LA GILTINIS: 1 Djustice Sears-Duru 2 Joe Taufete’e 3 Charlie Abel 4 Luke White 5 Dave Dennis (C) 6 Nathan Den Hoedt 7 Christian Poidevin 8 Hanco Germishuys 9 Harrison Goddard 10 Orene Ai’i 11 Adam Channel Will Chambers 12 Billy Meakes 13 Ben LeSage 14 John Ryberg 15 Jordan Trainor 16 Andrew Tuala 17 Les Leuluaialii-Makin 18 Marco Fepulea’i 19 Corey Thomas Zach Bonte 20 Cyrillic Cama 21 Tas Smith 22 Luke Burton 23 Tom Mitchell
Rugby New York: 1 Nic Mayhew 2 Kaleb Geiger 3 Kalolo Tuiloma 4 Nate Brakeley (C) 5 Charlie Hewitt 6 Will Tucker 7 Ben Bonasso 8 Kara Pryor 9 Conor McManus 10 Sam Windsor 11 Ed Fidow 12 Jason Emery13 Faasiu Fuatai 14 Andrew Coe 15 Troy Lockyear 16 Wilton Rebolo 17 Chance Wenglewski 18 Sak Taulafo 19 Dylan Fawsitt 20 Joe Basser 21 Andy Ellis 22 Jack Heighton 23 Quinn Ngawati
Rugby New York: Record 6-2, 30 points
- Houston SaberCats 7-10 Rugby New York, Match Preview
- Rugby ATL 31-36 Rugby New York, Match Preview
- Dallas Jackals 5-41 Rugby New York, Match Preview
- Rugby New York 29-38 New England Free Jacks, Match Preview
- Rugby New York 26-23 San Diego Legion, Match Preview
- NOLA Gold 19-30 Rugby New York Match Preview
- Rugby New York 10-14 Toronto Arrows Match Preview
- Rugby New York 35-31 Old Glory DC Match Preview
- LA Giltinis vs Rugby New York (April 10)
- Rugby New York vs New England Free Jacks (April 24)
- Rugby New York vs NOLA Gold (May 1)
- Toronto Arrows vs Rugby New York (May 8)
- Rugby New York vs Seattle Seawolves (May 15)
- Rugby New York vs Rugby ATL (May 22)
- Old Glory vs Rugby New York (May 29)
- New England Free Jacks vs Rugby New York (June 3)
LA Giltinis 5-3, 24 points
- Houston SaberCats 21-11 LA Giltinis
- Toronto Arrows 16-31 LA Giltinis
- LA Giltinis 19-15 New England Free Jacks
- Austin Gilgronis 22-9 LA Giltinis
- LA Giltinis 19-28 Utah Warriors
- LA Giltinis 26-13 San Diego Legion
- Seattle Seawolves 12-31 LA Giltinis
- LA Giltinis 47-7 Dallas Jackals
DJCoil Rugby articles by Doug Coil are also available on Facebook. Other Social Media sites to follow or subscribe to include Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube for interviews.