New England Free Jacks Release
- Opening day sees the Free Jacks hosting Connacht A on Saturday, March 16, as part of 4 matches to be played at the Union Sports Complex, in Weymouth, MA
- The Munster match hosted at the Irish Cultural Centre (ICC) will be the first time in history Rugby is to be played on the Gaelic Athletic Association Field at the Irish Cultural Centre
- Harvard’s Mignone Rugby Stadium to serve as host for the final match of the Cara Cup
- Cara Cup sets the stage for the Free Jacks entry into the 2020 MLR competition
- Tickets available now for the inaugural Cara Cup at https://thefreejacks.showare.com
Boston, MA – The New England Free Jacks of Major League Rugby announced today a number of premier venues around the greater Boston area that will play host to the four Irish Provincial “A” sides in a historic six-game tournament, The Cara Cup, including Union Point Sports Complex, Harvard’s Mignone Rugby Field and the Irish Cultural Centre.
The 2019 Cara Cup will be a celebration of sport, heritage, and friendship between New England and Ireland, as represented by the titular word “cara”, or Gaelic for “friend.”
“The Cara Cup motto this year, the line often credited to W.B. Yeats—‘There are no strangers here, only friends you haven’t yet met’—is perfect for our budding relationship with the Irish provinces, and even more so a reflection of our great sport and the new fans that are coming into it and the type of experience we aim to have at our matches—a lot of fun, high-value entertainment, very friendly, and welcoming to all,” said Co-Founder and Chief Executive of the Free Jacks, Alex Magleby. “Connacht, Ulster, Munster, and Leinster are all playing an exciting brand of rugby, as is reflected in the successes of the Irish National Team. These six matches will bring entertaining sport in a fun environment for friends old and new.”
- Free Jacks v Connacht March 16 at 3 pm Union Point Sports Complex, Weymouth, MA
- Connacht A v Ulster A March 20 at 7 pm Union Point Sports Complex, Weymouth, MA
- Free Jacks v Ulster A March 24 at 6:30 pm Union Point Sports Complex, Weymouth, MA
- Free jacks v Munster A April 6 at 4 pm Irish Cultural Centre Canton MA
- Munster A v Leinster A April 10 at 7 pm Union Point Sports Complex, Weymouth, MA
- Free Jacks v Leinster A April 14 at 5 pm Harvard Mignone Field, Boston MA
- all times EST
David Nucifora, IRFU Performance Director, commented: “Sharing our collective insight and experiences through these matches with the rapidly growing rugby population and fanbase in New England is an exciting challenge. We also have many Irish Rugby supporters in the greater Boston area we are excited to connect with again.”
“The success of Irish Rugby in recent years has further elevated the sport at home and abroad,” said Union Point Sports Co-Owner Joe Bradley, an Irish National. “With the Six Nations currently in full swing and the Rugby World Cup this fall, we hope the strong Irish population in Massachusetts comes out to see top players perform in this great sport”
“We are incredibly excited about this opportunity with the Free Jacks and certainly feel that our partnership is mutually beneficial,” said Greg Jackson, Executive Director of the ICC. “It’s in-line with our mission of promoting and preserving Irish Culture as rugby is growing sport in Ireland and here in the United States. We are looking forward to the tremendous occasion and the beginning of a really wonderful symbiotic relationship between our two organizations.”
The New England Free Jacks will also play Lansdowne on , t 4:00 PM at the Irish Cultural Centre GAA Field Canton, MA with tickets available.
The team begins their 2019 exhibition season on Saturday, February 9 at 7 pm ET away against the Utah Warriors. They also play the Toronto Arrows home on Saturday, May 18 at 1 pm and on June 15 at 1 pm against OLD Glory DC.