Rugby United New York signed Myles McQuone at lock for the 2019 Major League Rugby season. During 2018, Myles played with NOLA Gold Rugby, the Fairfield Yankees, and the New England Freejacks.
Myles is from Fairfield, Connecticut and is 25-years-old, 6’5″, and 250 lbs. He is also a marine technician and a sea captain.
Myles started playing rugby in high school for the Fairfield Pegasi in 2009. After high school, he began playing for the Connecticut Yankees, who now the Fairfield Yankees, where he continued to play through Fall 2017. The team won the USA Rugby Club D3 National Championship in 2016 and were the Empire GU Champions in 2017.
Myles also began playing for Northeast Academy in 2016 and played at the 2016 New York 7s. He also went on tour in March 2017 with the Stars Rugby 7s for the Paradise Smash Tournament in the U.S. Virgin Islands, which the team won.
Rugby United New York Comments
“Last year, I got a taste of what it takes to play at the highest level in America,” McQuone told us. “Personally, I didn’t have the season I wanted. So, I came back to the Northeast, hungry and eager to be a force with RUNY.”
David Lyme, Fairfield Yankees Rugby Head Coach
“Myles has played for the Fairfield Yankees for 3 years
- I appointed Myles captain the moment I took the team over as Head Coach, 3 years ago.
- Myles has continued to improve as a player every year
- He is a very focused player
- He is a very good captain
- Myles has studied the game over the past few years and has become a complete player
- I think Myles is one of the best Line out jumpers in the country
- He leads by example on and off the field
- He has always taken his position as captain very serious
- He has always wanted to improve and speaks with me regularly about areas he needs to improve on and then goes away and works on them
- He is an absolute pleasure to coach and work with”
Liz Entwhistle, Director Stars Rugby 7s
” Myles was an integral member of the Stars Rugby 7s Under 23s Paradise Smash Tour to St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands. His elite potential stood out at the USA Rugby D3 Club Nationals with the Fairfield Yankees. Myles solidified his spot as a member of the Stars Core 24 after his contributions at the St. Thomas tour, when the Stars won the Cup Championship and he was selected to the All-Tournament Team. Myles is a tall and powerful forward, who also possesses surprising speed and deft ball handling skills.”