Houston SaberCats & Justin Fitzpatrick
Houston SaberCats Justin Fitzpatrick was charged with building a professional Major League Rugby team in Houston. He has been the Head Coach since 2017 and had extensive professional and international playing and coaching experience prior to his arrival.
He indicated that “I feel incredibly privileged to be involved with the SaberCats and part of this the leading edge of Rugby in both Houston and the United States at this time. Major League Rugby and the Houston SaberCats are literally making sporting history on a week to week basis, bringing professional Rugby to this great city and around North American. To be part of this and to lead this talented group of Men that proudly wear the Black and Yellow of the SaberCats is a total privilege for me.”
Fitzpatrick attended Brunel University with a major in Sports Studies. He has been an advocate for players during his rugby career and was Ulster’s IRUPA representative and also served as an IRUPA Board member from 2001-2003 and again from 2008-2010.
Fitzpatrick has served as Olympic Development Academy High-performance Director (2013-14) and as the Head of Operations (2014-15) for Serevi Rugby. He also was a Board member of the British American Business Council for the Pacific Northwest from 2015-2017.
Fitzpatrick role with Houston has meant working with the owners and management in hiring coaches and players, working with Matt Trouville in developing an Academy, and in interacting at all rugby levels in the Houston area. He regularly spends time promoting the sport and his input and hands-on leadership has been instrumental in growing rugby in Houston.
- London Irish 1994-1998
- Ulster 1998-2003 (European Cup Winner 1999, All Ireland Div. 2 Winner 1999, All Ireland Div. 1 Winner 2001)
- Castres Olympique 2003-2005 (French Cup Winner 2003)
- Ulster 2005-2010 (Celtic League Winner 2006, Most capped forward on retirement with 156 caps, European Rugby Cup Elite Award Winner)
- Ireland (26 Caps between 1998-2003, RWC1999)
- Dungannon Director of Rugby / Head Coach 2010-2013 (Ulster Senior Winners 2011-2012, Ulster Senior Cup Winners 2011, All Ireland Bateman Cup Finalists 2011, Foster Cup Finalist 2011 & Winners 2012)
- Pakistan Head Coach 2010 Asian 5 Nations in Malaysia
- Irish Women’s Assistant Coach 2011-2013
- USA Collegiate All Americans Assistant Coach 2013 (Series Winners vs. New Zealand Universities)
- USA Eagles Assistant Coach 2013-2015 (Can-Am Winners 2014-2015, Pershing Cup Winners 2014, ARC Runners-Up 2013-2014, Qualified for RWC2015)
- Seattle Saracens Director of Rugby / Head Coach 2013-2017 (USAR Div1 Finalists 2013, BCRU Div1 Finalists 2014, BCRU Div1 Champions 2015, USAR National 7s Champions 2013, 2014, & 2015, USAR Women’s National 7s Finalist 2015, VRU Mainland Cup Winners 2015, Legends Cup Winners 2016, Washington State Challenge Champions 2016)
- Houston SaberCats, Head Coach 2017-present
DJCoil Rugby articles by Doug Coil are also available on Facebook. Other Social Media sites to follow or subscribe include Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube for interviews.