Houston SaberCats & Seattle Seawolves
The Houston SaberCats will play the Major League Rugby first place team, the Seattle Seawolves on June 2 at Dyer Stadium at 8 pm CDT (9 pm ET). The SaberCats need to win their final three matches to have a chance at the playoffs.
Tickets may still be purchased for the match. Students, teachers, and school staff get 15% OFF TICKETS for the SaberCat’s last home game and you may buy one adult ticket and get one kid’s ticket free!
Should you not be able to attend, the match will be broadcast nationally on CBS Sports Network as the Game of the Week.
Houston SaberCats Summer Camps
The Houston SaberCats will be conducting their 2018 SaberCats Youth Rugby Summer Camps. Participants will be exposed to basic rugby movement skills, teamwork, rugby drills, and games. The camp cost $200 and each camper will receive a T-shirt. The camp is for boys and girls from 9-14 years old.
DATES and LOCATION: Mon – Tues – Wed: 10am – 2pm
- June 11-13 Woodlands, TX – Alden Bridge Sports Park
- June 18-20 Katy, TX – Redline Athletics, 25133 Lakecrest Manor Dr.
- July 16-18 Woodlands, TX – Alden Bridge Sports Park
- July 16-18 Katy, TX – Redline Athletics, 25133 Lakecrest Manor Dr
Register Here: https://houstonsabercats.com/academy/
Head Coach Justin Fitzpatrick has made two changes in his starters from last week’s heartbreaking loss to the Utah Warriors. Robert Meeson returns to start at lock, while Zach Pangelinan returns from a red card that he received against NOLA Gold on May 19. In the reserves, Jack Riley has been included on the squad.
The SaberCats are in 7th place in the Major League Rugby standings with a 1-4 record and have 9 points. They have been competitive in each match, yet have had difficulty in closing out matches. The team will likely need to win their remaining three matches to have a shot at the playoffs. This will be a difficult task, as they play the top three teams in the standings.
After going 12-2-2 in the pre-season, there were high expectations for the team. It is an exciting team that can dominate scrums and plays expansive rugby.
In addition to playing their final game at home against the Seattle Seawolves on June 2, they will play the undefeated Glendale Raptors on June 8 and finish the regular season away against the Utah Warriors.
The SaberCats and the Seattle Seawolves will both benefit this week by having Paul Mullen and Olive Kilifi available for their respective teams. The teams have USA Rugby Men’s Eagles Head Coach Gary Gold and Major League Rugby to thank this week, however, they will miss the final two regular-season matches as the Eagles play Russia on June 9 in Denver, Scotland on June 16 in Houston, and Canada on June 23 in Halifax.
The Seawolves also will be without player-coach Phil Mack and Ray Barkwill, who will play for Canada against Scotland, Russia, and the USA.
The Glendale Raptors have six Eagles on the squad (Bryce Campbell, Dylan Fawsitt, Shaun Davies, Ben Landry, Will Magie, John Quill) and the Utah Warriors have two (Tevita ‘David’ Tameilau, Paul Lasike). The Warriors also will miss Kurt Morath, who is playing for Tonga.
The SaberCats are not out of the playoffs yet. This week they need to gain a bonus point win to stay in contention. Should that happen, then they move on to attempt to beat the Raptors…
The Seattle Seawolves have made three changes in their starters from last week’s 55-26 win over NOLA Gold Rugby. Two of the changes are in the front row as Kellen Gordon and John Hayden will start at loosehead and tighthead prop respectively. Cam Polson also returns at lock.
The Seawolves play their final three matches on the road. After the match against the SaberCats on June 2, they will play Austin Elite Rugby on June 8, and the Glendale Raptors on June 16. Their final regular season match could determine the top two seeds entering the playoffs.
Regardless of the outcome of the match, the Seattle Seawolves will be in first place in the Major League Rugby standings. The Sunday match between the New Orleans Gold Rugby Club against the Glendale Raptors can alter the standings as the Raptors can regain first place with a win and a Seawolves loss.
NOLA Gold Rugby quest to make the playoffs was impacted by the Austin Elite Rugby 41-33 win over the Utah Warriors. NOLA Gold will need a win over the Seawolves to move into fourth place in the standings.
The Seawolves can cement a top two spot in the playoffs with a win. Houston needs to step up and add three consecutive bonus wins if they stand any chance of making he playoffs.
Houston SaberCats & Seattle Seawolves Squads
Houston SaberCats: 1 Adam Macklin 2 Lindsey Stevens 3 Paul Mullen 4 Robert Meeson 5 Matt Trouville 6 Chris Coyle7 Cecil Garber 8 Kyle Sumsion (c) 9 Connor Murphy 10 Sam Windsor 11 Josua Vici 12 Conor Mills 13 Osea Kolinisau 14 Malacchi Esdale 15 Zach Pangelinan 16 Diego Maquierira 17 Jake Turnbull 18 Jack Reily 19 Charlie Hewitt 20 Pago Haini 21 Chris Slater 22 Joey Iosefa 23 Alex Elkins + Head Coach Justin Fitzpatrick
Seattle Seawolves: 1 Kellen Gordon 2 Ray Barkwill 3 John Hayden 4 Taylor Krumrei 5 Cam Polson 6 Eric Dueschle 7 Vili Toluta’u 8 Aladdin Schirmer (VC) 9 Phil Mack 10 Will Holder 11 Peter Tiberio 12 Shalom Suniula 13 William Rasileka 14 Brock Staller 15 Mat Turner 16 Dan Trierweiler 17 Olive Kilifi 18 Tim Metcher 19 Cole Van Harn 20 Nakai Penny 21 Andre Coquillard 22 Mozac Samson 23 Sequoyah Burke-Combs
Houston SaberCats Pre-Season Record (12-2-2)
- April 7 vs San Diego Legion (33-17) Preview
- March 24 at New Orleans Gold (D 32-32) Preview
- March 3 vs Ontario Arrows (D 28-28) Preview
- Feb 24 vs New Orleans Gold (W 30-12) Preview
- Feb 17 vs NYAC (W 39-38) Preview
- Feb 10 vs Chicago Lions (W 61-10) Preview
- Feb 3 vs Capital Selects (W 49-03) Preview
- Jan 27 vs James Bay Athletic Association (W 42-13) Preview
- Jan 20 vs Uruguay (L 24-32) Preview
- Jan 13 vs Vancouver Ravens (L 23-26) Preview
- Jan 6 vs Seattle Saracens (W 50-07)
- Dec. 16 vs Dallas Reds (W 21-05)
- Dec. 9 at Austin Blacks (W 55-21)
- Dec. 2 at Dallas Quins (W 125-00)
- Nov. 18 vs Dallas Reds at U. Houston (W 31-24)
- Nov 11 vs Austin Blacks (W 46-31)
Houston SaberCats 2018 Major League Rugby Schedule
- April 21 vs New Orleans Gold (L 35-26) Preview
- April 28 vs Austin Elite (W 50-38) Preview AT&T
- May 4 at San Diego Legion (L 35-32) Preview CBSSN (GAME OF THE WEEK)
- May 19 at New Orleans Gold (L 24-20) Preview CBSSN (GAME OF THE WEEK)
- May 26 vs. Utah Warriors (L 36-30) Preview AT&T
- June 2 vs. Seattle Seawolves Preview 8 pm CDT Network: CBSSN (GAME OF THE WEEK)
- June 8 at Glendale Raptors 8 pm CDT Network: AT&T
- June 23 at Utah Warriors 2 pm CDT Network: AT&T
- June 30 MLR Semi-Finals at Glendale Sat, 6 PM – 11 pm CDT Network: CBSSN
- July 7 MLR Championship at San Diego 8-10:45 pm CDT Network: CBSSN (Game of the Week)
Seattle Seawolves Pre-season Record (1-0)
- April 15 vs. Wolf Pack (W 47-7)
Seattle Seawolves 2018 Major League Rugby Schedule
- April 22 vs. San Diego Legion (W 39-23) Preview ROOT SPORTS, ESPN+
- April 28 vs. Glendale Raptors (L 19-15) Preview CBSSN (GAME OF THE WEEK)
- May 12 at NOLA Gold (W 31-29) Preview Cox/AT&T SportsNet
- May 20 vs. Utah Warriors (W 41-32) Preview Root Sports NW
- May 27 vs NOLA Gold (W 55-26) Preview Cox/AT&T SportsNet
- June 2 at Houston SaberCats Preview CBSSN (Game of the Week)
- June 8 at Austin Elite Preview 6:00 pm PDT Network: CBSSN (GAME OF THE WEEK)
- June 16 at Glendale Raptors 6:00 pm Network: AT&T SportsNet