Utah Warriors & Austin Elite Rugby
The Utah Warriors will face Austin Elite Rugby in the CSB Sports Network Game of the Week on Friday, May 11 at 7 pm MDT (9 pm EDT) at Zions Bank Stadium in Herriman, Utah.
The Utah Warriors have had two narrow losses to begin their Major League Rugby season and will be looking for a win at home tonight. Austin Elite Rugby also began their season with two competitive losses, but gained their first win last week against New Orleans Gold Rugby. They hope that the momentum from that win will propel them to victory against the Warriors.
Utah Warriors Head Coach Alf Daniels has made two changes to his starting XV from Last week’s narrow loss to the Glendale Raptors. Josh Anderson will be a wing and Jared Whippy, the fullback. In the reserves, two Eagles will be available for the first time in John Cullen and Mike Palefau.
The Utah Warriors are improving each week in the scrums. This week there were no changes made in the forwards, so that should help to develop as a unit. Alex Tucci, Lote Tu’ipulotu, and Angus MacLellan, an Eagle, are in the front row. Matt Jensen, an Eagle, and vice captain Saia Uhila are the locks, Lance Williams and Ara Elkington the flankers and Tevita ‘David’ Tameilau, another Eagle at No. 8.
The halfbacks pair Joseph Nicholls with Tonga’s leading scorer Kurt Morath. The centers are both dangerous runners with captain Paul Lasike at inside and Fetu Vainikolo at outside. The back three have Tonata Lauti and Josh Anderson at wing and Jared Whippy at fullback.
Austin Elite Rugby
Austin Elite Rugby Head Coach Alain Hyardet has made two changes to his starters from last week’s win over NOLA Gold. Victor Comptat returns to start at lock and Zinzan Elan-Puttick will see his first regular-season action at outside center.
There are also two positional changes with Hanco Germishuys moving from No. 8 to flanker and Kyle Breytenbach switching from lock to No. 8.
Chris Schade, Mike Brown, and Mason Pedersen provide a solid front row. Vice-captain Ben Mitchell is a go-to guy in the lineout and is complemented by Victor Comptat. The back row of Ross Deacon, Hanco Germishuys, and Kyle Breytenbach is quick to the breakdown, strong in defense, and responsive to capitalizing on opportunities in the attack.
The halfback combination of Marcus Walsh and Timothée Guillimin has been an effective one. Quick ball is sent through captain Andrew Suniula to get the ball wide to Sani Taylor and Sione Fangaiuiha. Then add fullback Ned Hodson, who had a dominant performance last week and Zinzan Elan-Puttick, who moves to center.
Utah Warriors & Austin Elite Rugby Squads
Utah Warriors: 1 Alex Tucci, 2 Lote Tu’ipulotu, 3 Angus MacLellan, 4 Matt Jensen, 5 Saia Uhila, (VC) 6 Lance Williams, 7 Ara Elkington, 8 Tevita ‘David’ Tameilau, 9 Joseph Nicholls, 10 Kurt Morath, 11 Tonata Lauti, 12 Paul Lasike (capt.), 13 Fetu’u Vainikolo, 14 Josh Anderson, 15 Jared Whippy, 16 Ray Forresterr, 17 Maika Hafoka, 18 Peni Pahulu, 19 Kory Olsen, 20 John Cullen 21 Mike Palefau 22 Paki Afu, 23 Ben Nicholls, + Head Coach Alf Daniels
Austin Elite: 1 Chris Schade 2 Mike Brown 3 Mason Pedersen 4 Ben Mitchell 5 Victor Comptat 6 Ross Deacon 7 Hanco Germishuys 8 Kyle Breytenbach 9 Marcus Walsh 10 Timothée Guillimin 11 Sani Taylor 12 Andrew Suniula 13 Zinzan Elan-Puttick 14 Sione Fangaiuiha 15 Ned Hodson 16 David LeMasters 17 Siaosi Finau 18 Robert Drummond 19 Todd Clever 20 Alex Faison-Donahoe 21 Knute O’Donnell 22 Joedee Reyes 23 Pita Naruma + Head Coach Alain Hyardet
Utah Warriors Pre-season
- March 30 vs Glendale Raptors (L 42-15) Preview
- April 7 vs. Ontario Arrows (L 24-20) Preview + match recap vs. Glendale
- April 20 vs Prairie Wolf Pack (W 80-12) Preview
Utah Warriors 2018 Major League Rugby Season
- April 29 at San Diego Legion (L 31-24) Preview Cox/AT&T SportsNet, ESPN+
- May 5 vs Glendale Raptors (L 36-29) Preview AT&T SportsNet, ESPN+
- May 11 vs Austin Elite Rugby Preview 7 pm MDT Network: CBSSN, ESPN+
- May 20 at Seattle Seawolves 6:30 pm MDT Network: ROOT SPORTS, ESPN+
- May 26 at Houston SaberCats 4 pm MDT Network: AT&T SportsNet, ESPN+
- June 1 at Austin Elite Rugby 7 pm MDT Network: AT&T SportsNet, ESPN+
- June 16 vs New Orleans Gold 2 pm MDT Network: CBSSN, ESPN+
- June 23 vs Houston SaberCats 1 pm Network: AT&T SportsNet, ESPN+
Austin Elite Rugby Pre-season Schedule
- March 25 vs. San Diego Legion (L 32-24) Preview
- March 31 at New Orleans Gold (L 48-17) Preview
- April 7 vs. New Orleans Gold (L 38-10) Preview with March 31 recap
Austin Elite Rugby 2018 Major League Rugby Schedule
- April 21 at Glendale Raptors (L 41-26) Preview CBSSN (GAME OF THE WEEK)
- April 28 at Houston SaberCats (L 50-38) Preview AT&T
- May 3 vs. New Orleans Gold (W 30-17) Preview AT&T
- May 11 at Utah Warriors Preview 8 pm CDT Network: CBSSN (GAME OF THE WEEK)
- May 25 v. San Diego Legion 8 pm CDT Network: CBSSN (GAME OF THE WEEK)
- June 1 vs. Utah Warriors 8 pm CDT Network: AT&T
- June 9 vs. Seattle Seawolves 8 pm CDT Network: CBSSN (GAME OF THE WEEK)
- June 17 at San Diego Legion 7 pm CDT Local Network: Cox/AT&T
DJCoil Rugby articles by Doug Coil are also available on Facebook. Other Social Media sites to follow or subscribe include Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube for interviews.