Utah Warriors & Glendale Raptors
The Utah Warriors host the Glendale Raptors on May 5 at 1:30 pm MDT (3:30 pm EDT) at Zion Bank Stadium in Herriman, Utah.
The match will be broadcast locally on AT&T Sports Net, streamed nationally on ESPN+, and streamed internationally on the Major League Rugby Facebook page.
Head Coach Alf Daniels has made four changes and three positional changes from the team’s Major League Rugby season opening 31-24 loss against the San Diego Legion. Ara Elkington, Tevita Tameilau, AJ Tu’ineau, and Don Pati start at flanker, No. 8, wing, and at fullback, respectively. Vice Captain Saia ‘Uhila moves from No. 8 to lock, Fets Vanikolo from wing to outside center, and Tonata Lauti from fullback to wing.
The addition of Kurt Morath, the leading Tonga points scorer at flyhalf has provided the team with veteran leadership and also as one of the leading international lickers. Tevita ‘David’ Tameilau, an Eagle back row who was a reserve in his debut with the team last week, also provides the team with an additional physical presence.
Last week the team showed improvement in the set pieces and creativity by the backs when attacking.
The front row includes Alex Tucci, Lote Tuipulota, and Eagle Angus MacLelland. Eagle Matt Jensen is paired with Saia ‘Uhila at lock. The back row includes Lance Williams, Ara Elkington, and Eagle Tevita Tameilau.
In the backs, scrumhalf Joseph Nicholls links with Kurt Morath at flyhalf. Former NFL fullback and captain, Paul Lasike and Fets Vainikolo are the centers, while AJ Tu’ineau, Tonata Lauti man the wings with Don Pati at fullback.
Forward reserves include Ray Forrester at hooker, Maika Hafoka, and Peni Pahulu at prop, Kory Olsen at lock, and Win Elkington at flanker. Backs reserves include Ben Nicholls at scrumhalf or flyhalf, Paki Afu at center and Josh Anderson at wing.
Head Coach David Williams has made one change in his starters from last week’s 19-15 win against the Seattle Seawolves. Jake Christmann gets his first regular-season start at scrumhalf, while Shaun Davies is rested. Kevin Lynch also joins the lineup as a reserve.
Blake Rogers, Eagle Dylan Fawsitt, and Kelipi Fifita form the front row with Casey Rock and Luke White at lock, and a back row of former Eagles Zach Fenoglio and Peter Dahl, along with Australian international Sam Figg.
In the backs, U20 player and scrumhalf Jake Christmann will link with Eagles Will Magie at flyhalf, Bryce Campbell, and Chad London at center. The back three include former College standouts Seth Halliman and Harley Davidson, along with veteran Maximo De Achaval.
The reserves include forwards Nick Kwasniewski and James Del Bozque at prop. Del Bozque also plays hooker. Brian Wanless, Devin Vaughter, and Dakota “Kody” O’Neil at back row.
Reserve backs include Kevin Lynch at scrumhalf, Mika Kruse at center/wing and Ata Malifa, a utility back.
Utah Warriors & Glendale Raptors Squads
Utah Warriors: 1 Alex Tucci, 2 Lote Tu’ipulotu, 3 Angus MacLellan, 4 Matt Jensen, 5 Saia Uhila, (VC) 6 Lance Williams, 7 Ara Elkington, 8 Tevita ‘David’ Tameilau, 9 Joseph Nicholls, 10 Kurt Morath, 11 AJ Tu’ineau, 12 Paul Lasike (capt.), 13 Fetu’u Vainikolo, 14 Tonata Lauti 15 Don Pati 16 Ray Forresterr, 17 Maika Hafoka, 18 Peni Pahulu, 19 Kory Olsen, 20 Win Elkington 21 Ben Nicholls, 22 Paki Afu, 23 Josh Anderson, + Head Coach Alf Daniels
Glendale Raptors: 1 Blake Rogers 2 Dylan Fawsitt 3 Kelepi Fifita 4 Casey Rock 5 Luke White 6 Zach Fenoglio 7 Peter Dahl 8 Samuel Figg 9 Jake Christmann 10 Will Magie 11 Seth Halliman 12 Bryce Campbell 13 Chad London 14 Harley Davidson 15 Maximo De Achaval 16 Devin Vaughter 17 Nick Kwasniewski 18 James DelBozque19 Dakota ‘Kody’ O’Neil 20 Brain Wanless 21 Kevin Lynch 22 Mika Kruse 23 Ata Malifa + Head Coach David Williams
Utah Warriors Pre-season
- March 30 vs Glendale Raptors (L 42-15) Preview
- April 7 vs. Ontario Arrows (L 24-20) Preview + match recap vs. Glendale
- April 20 vs Prairie Wolf Pack (W 80-12) Preview
Utah Warriors 2018 Major League Rugby Season
- April 29 at San Diego Legion (L 31-24) Preview Cox/AT&T SportsNet, ESPN+
- May 5 vs Glendale Raptors Preview 1:30 pm MDT Network: AT&T SportsNet, ESPN+
- May 11 vs Austin Elite Rugby 7 pm MDT Network: CBSSN, ESPN+
- May 20 at Seattle Seawolves 6:30 pm MDT Network: ROOT SPORTS, ESPN+
- May 26 at Houston SaberCats 4 pm MDT Network: AT&T SportsNet, ESPN+
- June 1 at Austin Elite Rugby 7 pm MDT Network: AT&T SportsNet, ESPN+
- June 16 vs New Orleans Gold 2 pm MDT Network: CBSSN, ESPN+
- June 23 vs Houston SaberCats 1 pm Network: AT&T SportsNet, ESPN+
Glendale Raptors Exhibition Season
- March 10 vs. New Orleans Gold (W 38-14) Preview
- March 30 at Utah Warriors (W 42-15) Preview
- April 7 at New York Athletic Club (W 35-22) Preview with March 30 recap against Utah Warriors
Glendale Raptors 2018 Major League Rugby Season
- April 21 vs. Austin Elite (W 41-26) Preview CBSSN (GAME OF THE WEEK)
- April 28 at Seattle Seawolves (W 19-15) Preview CBSSN (GAME OF THE WEEK)
- May 5 at Utah Warriors Preview 1:30 MT Network: AT&T SportsNet
- May 13 vs. San Diego Legion 7 pm MST Network: Cox/AT&T SportsNet
- May 26 at San Diego Legion 6 pm MST Broadcast: AT&T Sports Net
- June 3 at New Orleans Gold 2 pm MDT Network: Cox/AT&T SportsNet
- June 8 vs. Houston SaberCats 7 pm MST Network: AT&T SportsNet
- June 16 vs. Seattle Seawolves 7 pm MST Network: AT&T SportsNet