Austin Elite Rugby & New Orleans Gold
Austin Elite Rugby defeated the New Orleans Gold Rugby Club 30-17 in their home Major League Rugby opener on May 3 at Round Rock Multipurpose Complex. The team has been very competitive in their two away losses. NOLA Gold comes into the match after beating the Houston SaberCats to open their season and then having a bye last weekend.
The match was streamed nationally on ESPN+, internationally on the Major League Rugby Facebook page, and locally on Cox Yurview and on AT&T Sports Net SW.
Austin Elite Rugby took advantage of two NOLA Gold penalties (2′ & 5′) to take a 6-0 lead as Timothee Guillimin slotted kicks.
Handling errors plagued both sides and resulted in numerous scrums.
In the 17th minute Austin, Elite Rugby extended their lead to 11-0 after a Ben Mitchell break and an offload to Ned Hodson for a try. NOLA Gold narrowed the score to 11-3 on a JP Eloff kick (27′). Guillimin tried a kick of his own, only to hit the posts instead.
In the final play of the half, NOLA Gold drove Austin Elite off their 5-meter scrum with John Sullivan barreling in for a try. After Eloff’s conversion, Austin Elite held a narrow 11-10 lead at the break.
A Ned Hodson break, dummy and grub kick was gathered by Hanco Germishuys. A quick take by Germishuys after a NOLA Gold penalty, resulted in a try to increase the lead to 16-10.
NOLA Gold Rugby was held up in-goal, but Siaosi Finau was sent to the bin. Electing a scrum, John Sullivan went left from his No. 8 position for his second try. After Eloff slotted the conversion NOLA Gold took a 17-16 lead.
Austin Elite Rugby went through phases until a penalty by NOLA Gold resulted in a kick by Guillimin that was wide right.
Austin Elite’s Andrew Suniula found a gap and a cross kick by Guillimin was tapped by Germishuys to Sani Taylor with Michael Baska saving a try with a poke of the ball in-goal. After getting the ball back after a NOLA Gold possession, Hanco Germishuys went in for his second try. Guillimin then converted to give Austin Elite Rugby a 23-17 lead.
NOLA Gold went on the attack, but a Taylor Howden chip was taken by Ned Hodson, who scored an 85-meter try. Guillimin extended the lead to 30-17 with the conversion.
Needing two converted tries in the final 7 minutes, NOLA Gold attacked from two scrums within 7 meters from the line and two 5-meter penalties before losing the ball forward and Austin Elite clearing. Stellar defense from Austin.
Austin Elite Rugby earned a 30-17 win in their home opener to move their record to 1-2. With the loss, NOLA Gold Rugby’s record is 1-1.
The MAN of the Match for Austin Elite Rugby could either go to Hanco Germishuys or to Ned Hodson, as both scored two tries. Germishuys claimed the honor. For NOLA Gold, John Sullivan deserves that honor.
Austin Elite Rugby & New Orleans Gold Squads
Austin Elite: 1 Chris Schade 2 Mike Brown 3 Mason Pedersen 4 Ben Mitchell 5 Kyle Breytenbach 6 Ross Deacon 7 Pedrie Wannenburg 8 Hanco Germishuys 9 Marcus Walsh 10 Timothée Guillimin 11 Sani Taylor 12 Roland Suniula 13 Andrew Suniula 14 Sione Fangaiuiha 15 Ned Hodson 16 David LeMasters 17 Siaosi Finau 18 Robert Drummond 19 Todd Clever 20 Victor Comptat 21 Knute O’Donnell 22 Alex Faison-Donahoe 23 Pat Sullivan + Head Coach Alain Hyardet (Specific #16-23 Not provided)
New Orleans Gold: 1 Derrek Van Klein 2 Eric Howard (VC) 3 Cameron Falcon 4 Nikola Bursic 5 Matt Wirken 6 John Sullivan 7 Matt Hughston 8 Sebastian Kalm 9 Holden Yungert 10 Taylor Howden (C) 11Ratu Rinakama 12 JP Eloff 13 Zack Stryffeler 14 Bobby Johns 15 Michael Baska 16 Amro Gouda 17 Hubert Buydens 18 Ben Tarr 19 Myles McQuone 20 Tevita Makasini 21 Joeli Tikoisuva 22 Tesimoni Tongauiha 23 Melvin Desouza + Head Coach Nate Osborne
Austin Elite Rugby Pre-season Schedule
- March 25 vs. San Diego Legion (L 32-24) Preview
- March 31 at New Orleans Gold (L 48-17) Preview
- April 7 vs. New Orleans Gold (L 38-10) Preview with March 31 recap
Austin Elite Rugby 2018 Major League Rugby Schedule
- April 21 at Glendale Raptors (L 41-26) Preview CBSSN (GAME OF THE WEEK)
- April 28 at Houston SaberCats (L 50-38) Preview AT&T
- May 3 vs. New Orleans Gold (W 30-17) Preview AT&T
- May 11 at Utah Warriors 8 pm CDT Network: CBSSN (GAME OF THE WEEK)
- May 25 v. San Diego Legion 8 pm CDT Network: CBSSN (GAME OF THE WEEK)
- June 1 vs. Utah Warriors 8 pm CDT Network: AT&T
- June 9 vs. Seattle Seawolves 8 pm CDT Network: CBSSN (GAME OF THE WEEK)
- June 17 at San Diego Legion 7 pm CDT Local Network: Cox/AT&T
New Orleans Gold Pre-Season
- Jan. 3 Open Training Camp
- Jan. 20 vs. Capital Rugby Union Selects (W 68-15) Preview
- Feb. 24 at Houston SaberCats (L 30-12) Preview
- March 10 at Glendale Raptors (L 38-14) Preview
- March 24 vs Houston SaberCats (D 32-32) Preview
- March 31 vs Austin Elite (W 48-17) Preview
- April 7 at Austin Elite (W 38-10) Preview with March 31 recap
New Orleans Gold 2018 Major League Rugby Season
- April 21 At Houston Sabercats (W 35-26) Preview
- May 3 At Austin Elite (L30-17) Preview AT&T
- May 12 Home vs. Seattle Seawolves Noon CDT Network: Cox/AT&T
- May 19 Home vs. Houston SaberCats Noon CDT Network: CBSSN (GAME OF THE WEEK)
- May 27 At Seattle Seawolves 7 pm CDT Network: Cox/AT&T
- June 3 Home vs. Glendale Raptors 3 pm CDT Network: Cox/AT&T
- June 9 Home vs. San Diego Legion 3 pm CDT Network: COX
- June 16 At Utah Warriors 3 pm CDT Network: CBSSN (GAME OF THE WEEK)