New Orleans Gold – Myles McQuone
The New Orleans Gold Rugby Club signed Myles McQuone at lock for the inaugural Major League Rugby season which begins in April 2018.
Myles is from Fairfield, Connecticut and is 24 years old, 6’5″, and weighs 250 pounds. He is also a marine technician and a sea captain.
Myles started playing rugby in high school for the Fairfield Pegasi in 2009. After high school, he began playing for the Connecticut Yankees, who now the Fairfield Yankees, where he continued to play through Fall 2017. The team won the USA Rugby Club D3 National Championship in 2016 and were the Empire GU Champions in 2017.
Myles also began playing for Northeast Academy in 2016 and played at the 2016 New York 7s. He also went on tour in March 2017 with the Stars Rugby 7s for the Paradise Smash Tournament in the U.S. Virgin Islands, which the team won.
Both Myles McQuone, David Lyme, and Liz Entwhistle, Stars Rugby 7s have commented about Myles McQuone signing with NOLA Gold.
I’m very excited to play in the inaugural Major League Rugby season with New Orleans Gold. I walked away from the family business to have weekends available for rugby and it’s amazing that it’s paid off.”
David Lyme, Fairfield Yankees Rugby Head Coach
“Myles has played for the Fairfield Yankees for 3 years
- I appointed Myles captain the moment I took the team over as Head Coach, 3 years ago.
- Myles has continued to improve as a player every year
- He is a very focused player
- He is a very good captain
- Myles has studied the game over the past few years and has become a complete player
- I think Myles is one of the best Line out jumpers in the country
- He leads by example on and off the field
- He has always taken his position as captain very serious
- He has always wanted to improve and speaks with me regularly about areas he needs to improve on and then goes away and works on them
- He is an absolute pleasure to coach and work with”
Liz Entwhistle, Director Stars Rugby 7s
” Myles was an integral member of the Stars Rugby 7s Under 23s Paradise Smash Tour to St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands. His elite potential stood out at the USA Rugby D3 Club Nationals with the Fairfield Yankees. Myles solidified his spot as a member of the Stars Core 24 after his contributions at the St. Thomas tour, when the Stars won the Cup Championship and he was selected to the All-Tournament Team. Myles is a tall and powerful forward, who also possesses surprising speed and deft ball handling skills.”
“Stars Rugby 7s wishes Myles all the best in NOLA where he joins fellow Stars veterans Matt Houston and Jojo Tikoisuva on what promises to be a thrilling young roster!
New Orleans Gold Rugby Club
- Nate Osborne – Head Coach
- Todd Fitzgerald – Assistant Head Coach and Assistant General Manager
- Sebastián Kalm – Backrow
- Moni Tongauiha – Center
- Hubert Buydens – Loosehead prop
- Eric Howard – Hooker
- Ratu Peceli Rinakama – Flyhalf, Scrum-half, Wing, Fullback
- Bobby Johns – Center, Flyhalf, Scrumhalf
- Matt Hughston – Center, Flanker
- Jojo Tikoisuva – Wing
- Tim Falcon – Owner
- JP Eloff – Flyhalf, Center, Fullback
- Ryan Fitzgerald – General Manager
- Holden Youngert – Scrum-half
- Michael Baska – Fullback
- Derrek Van Klein – Loosehead Prop
- Myles McQuone – Lock