Citadel Rugby Defeats UNC-Wilmington

Citadel Rugby defeats UNCW 45-28

By Doug Coil – based on Tommy Duffy release: September 24, 2017

The Citadel Rugby Club defeated host UNC-Wilmington 45-28 Saturday at Gazebo Field in a Southern Rugby Conference match.

On a hot fall afternoon the Bulldogs came into Cape Fear to play UNCW. In an outstanding battle and hard fought match, UNCW’s #7 Tom McCrimmon scored first off a loose ball with failed conversation by Colin Frazier #10 to put the Seahawks up 5-0. Citadel answered back as Daniel Smith ran 45 meters for try after being set up by Aaron Moore. Ellison Rourke converted to put the Bulldogs up 7-5. Daniel Smith #11  scored minutes later on an other long run with Rouke’s conversation making it 14-5.

At the 20th minute, #12 Braxton McDuffie added a try from a crash ball 25 meters from the line and after a missed conversation and the Bulldogs lead 19-5.

UNCW answered back in the 32nd minute, as #13 Joe Thelan scored a 55 meter try after gathering a Citadel loose ball. Collin Frazier added the conversion to narrow the score to 19-12.

Just prior to the break, a penalty by UNCW provided Citadel a final scoring opportunity. A Scrum half Mike McGaffic off load to Antonio Moffa #1, resulted in a try with no time on the clock. The conversation failed, but Citadel took a 24-12 lead into the break.

Second Half

UNCW answered back early in the second half as Vince De La Roca #1 scored a try from a forward pod 25 meters out. This cut the lead after a successful conversation to 24-19.

After some back and forth attacks from both the Citadel and UNCW, Citadel’s #7 Charlie Evans added a try from a 5 meters pick and go. Ellison Rourke added the conversion increasing the lead to 31-19.

UNCW pushed right back as Tom McCrimmon stormed in through traffic for a try. After Collin Frazier’s conversation was missed the score was 31-24.

In the 72nd minute, Citadel’s Freshman Pat Hess #8 picked the ball and went blind for a try from 8 meters out. Rourke converted increasing the Citadel lead to 38-24. In the final moments ,#9 Mike McGaffic dotted it in from 1 meter out and the final was 45-24.

Head Coach Bill Belll said of his Bulldogs. “Our boys played with great resilience and pressure. Very proud of some of our younger players who stepped up big time. I was very impressed by UNCW’s play and their never quite attitude. They were in this up to the end. I definitely take my hat off to them.”

For more information, see the Citadel Rugby Club and the UNCW Rugby Football Club pages. If you liked this Southern Rugby Conference article check the men’s college category or their conference standings.

About Author

North American Rugby News With A USA Slant