August 11, 2017
Texas All-Stars Defeat Liberty Conference in Collegiate Cup in Bermuda
The Republic of Texas All-Stars defeated the the Liberty Rugby Conference All-Stars 33-12 in the Collegiate Cup at the National Rugby Sports Centre prior to the Saracens taking on the USA Islanders on Thursday, August 10. The match ended in the 71st minute due to the scheduled start of the Saracens vs. USA Islanders match.
The Republic of Texas All-Stars opened the scoring in the 18th win with a converted try for a 7-0 lead. Liberty’s Jimmy Wolfer then cut the lead to 7-5 with a try.
Texas then scored two tries in the last five minutes, the first by Brennan Falcon and the second by Ryan Reese to take a 21-5 lead into the break.
In the second half, Brennan Falcon added a second try to increase the Texas lead to 26-5. Liberty’s Michael Rassmusen countered with a try to narrow the score to 26-12 before Ryan Reese added his second try for a 33-12 win.
This Collegiate Cup is one of many promotions by URugby by Stephen Siano. URugby has developed strong ties with Bermuda Rugby and ran a Collegiate Spring Break Tournament in Bermuda, which will also return in 2018. The matches were live streamed by FloRugby.
Jerry Mirro was the head coach of the Librty Conference team. He is also the head coach of Stony Brook University Men’s Rugby Head Coach and of Long Island Rugby Club. Rick Medina was the head coach for the Republic of Texas All-Stars. He is also the head coach for Lake Travis Rugby and works with FloRugby. He plays for the Austin Blacks and has played internationally for Spain and professionally in Ireland. Both coaches have been involved with Atlantis Rugby.
Pedrie Wannenburg, former Springbok and Denver Stampede player and Aiistant Coach of the Austin Huns, also was part of the coaching staff of the Texas All-Stars.
The Liberty Rugby Conference will begin during the fall of 2017 and consists of teams from University of Delaware, Iona College, Fordham University, Rutgers University, Stony Brook University, The University at Albany, Syracuse University, Colgate University, Binghamton University, The College at Brockport, Rhode Island University, Tufts University, Fairfield University, Boston College, UMass, Northeastern University, and UConn.
The Republic of Texas team will draw from collegiate-age talent throughout the State of Texas, including the Southwest Collegiate Rugby Conference and the Red River Conference. Teams include Baylor University, Midwestern State University, Rice University, Sam Houston State University, Saint Edward’s University, Sul Ross State University, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Texas State University, University of Dallas, University of Houston, University of North Texas. A partial list of the players is below.
Liberty Rugby Conference Squad
- Tommy Abram – University of Delaware Scrumhalf/Flyhalf
- Ashkon Assemi – Binghamton University Prop
- Nick Cappola – Binghamton University Front Row/ Backrow
- Ryan Crowe – Northeastern University Fullback/Wing/Center
- Terrance Cullen – Lock/Backrow
- Nick Dillon – Prop/Hooker
- Alec Dunivant – Center
- Brandon Healy – Binghamton University Flyhalf/Wing
- Lavar James – Iona CollegeWing
- Steven Kopcho – Stony Brook University Flanker
- Bryan Michel – Stony Brook University Flyhalf
- Connor O’Brien – Scrumhalf/Flyhalf
- Timmy O’Connor – UMAss Lock/No.8
- Sean Porrata – SUNY Brockport Back
- Mike Rasmussen – Colgate University Prop/Lock
- Bernie Rawlins – Colgate University Fullback/Wing
- Michael Ruther – UMass Lock/No.8
- Jared Smallwood – Prop/Lock Fordham University Prop
- Jimmy Wolfer – Saint Joseph’s University Scrumhalf/Flyhalf/Center
Republic of Texas All-Stars Squad
- Hunter Briet- Louisiana State University Hooker/Prop
- Justin Brown – Texas A&M Scrumhalf/Back
- Todd Dupre – Louisiana State University No. 8
- Brennan Falcon – Louisiana State University Flanker
- Hanco Germishuys – Austin Huns Flanker
- Tyler Hawkins – Bylor University Hooker/Prop
- Nick Larsen – Texas Christian University Center/Flanker
- Kevin Marcotte – UCSB,Lake Travis HS Back
- Nic Medina – Texas Tech/ Austin Blacks Flyhalf/Fullback
- Patrick Medina – Austin Blacks Center
- Weston Mollo – Life University Back
- Stewart Morris – Baylor University Center/ Flanker
- Mason Pedersen – Austin Huns Prop
- Jackson Slater – Baylor University Lock
- Daemon Torres – Life University Lock
- Cameron Troxler – Louisiana State University/New Orleans RFC Flyhalf
- Parker Vincent – Baylor University Flyhalf
- Derek Watson- Austin Blacks Flanker/Lock/Prop