June 8, 2017
Ireland Squad for Test Against the Eagles
Ireland has selected their 23 man squad for the test this Saturday, June 10, against the USA Rugby Men’s Eagles at 5pm at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, New Jersey. The match will be televised by NBC Sports.
Eight uncapped players were part of the 32 person travel squad for the June tests against the United States and Japan. Jacob Stockdale will start at wing, while Dave Heffernan, Andrew Porter, James Ryan and Rory Scannell will earn their first cap should they enter the match as reserves.
The Ireland squad for the USA combines experience of leaders like Cian Healy (67) at prop, Devon Toner (47) at lock, Rhys Ruddock (13) at flanker, Kieran Marmion (13) at scrumhalf and Keith Earls (59) at wing. Players with five to ten caps include John Ryan (6) at prop, Josh Van der Flier (7) at flanker, Like Marshall (9) and Garry Ringrose (8) at centers. The remaining starters have less than five caps, with Niall Scannell (4) at hooker, Quinn Roux (1) at lock, and Jack Cohan (10 at eight. Flyhalf Joey Carbery (3), Josh Stockdale (uncapped) at wing, and Tiernan O’Halloran (3) at fullback.
In the reserves, David Kilcoyne (17) at prop and Simon Zebo (33) at wing are seasoned veterans. The other forwards and backs are either uncapped or have 1 or 2 caps. The other reserves are Dave Heffernan (uncapped) hooker, Andrew Porter (uncapped) loosehead prop, James Ryan (uncapped) lock, Dan Leavy (2) flanker, Luke McGrath (1) scrumhalf, and Rory Scannell (uncapped) center/flyhalf/fullback.
After Ireland begins their June tests against the USA Men’s Eagles, they will travel to Japan for two tests on June 17 at Ecopa Stadium in Shizuoka and on June 24 at Ajinomoto Stadium in Tokyo.
Ireland will be without 11 players that are part of the 2017 British & Lions Lions tour to New Zealand. The British & Irish Lions include the forwards Rory Best, Tadhg Furlong, Iain Henderson, Jack McGrath, Sean O’Brien, Peter O’Mahoney, and CJ Stander from Ireland. Backs included are Robbie Henshaw, Conor Murray, Jared Payne, and Jonathan Sexton.
Ireland v USA Rugby Men’s Eagles: 1 Cian Healy 2 Niall Scnnell 3 John Ryan 4 Quinn Roux 5 Devin Toner 6 Rhys Ruddock 7 Josh Van der Flier 8 Jack Cohan 9 Kieran Marmion 10 Joey Carberry 11 Jacob Stockdale* 12 Luke Marshall 13 Garry Ringrose 14 Keith Earls 15 Tiernan O’Halloran 16 Dave Heffernan* 17 David Kilcoyne 18 Andrew Porter* 19 James Ryan* 20 Dan Leavy 21 Luke McGrath 22 Rory Scannell* 23 Simon Zebo
Ireland June 2017 Squad for USA & Japan
- Finlay Bealham (Buccaneers/Connacht) 6 caps
- Jack Conan (Old Belvedere/Leinster) 1 cap
- Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster) 67 caps
- Dave Heffernan (Buccaneers/Connacht) *
- Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster) 17 caps
- Dan Leavy (UCD/Leinster) 2 caps
- Tommy O’Donnell (UL Bohemians/Munster) 12 caps
- Jack O’Donoghue (UL Bohemians/Munster) 1 cap
- Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster) *
- Quinn Roux (Connacht) 1 cap
- Rhys Ruddock (St. Mary’s College/Leinster) 13 caps
- James Ryan (UCD/Leinster) *
- John Ryan (Cork Constitution/Munster) 6 caps
- Niall Scannell (Dolphin/Munster) 4 caps
- Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster) 47 caps
- James Tracy (UCD/Leinster) 2 caps
- Kieran Treadwell (Ballymena/Ulster) *
- Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster) 7 caps
- Joey Carbery (Clontarf/Leinster) 3 caps
- Andrew Conway (Garryowen/Munster) 1 cap
- John Cooney (Connacht) *
- Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 59 caps
- Paddy Jackson (Dungannon/Ulster) 23 caps
- Kieran Marmion (Corinthians/Connacht) 13 caps
- Luke Marshall (Ballymena/Ulster) 9 caps
- Luke McGrath (UCD/Leinster) 1 cap
- Tiernan O’Halloran (Buccaneers/Connacht) 3 caps
- Rory O’Loughlin (Old Belvedere/Leinster) *
- Garry Ringrose (UCD/Leinster) 8 caps
- Rory Scannell (Dolphin/Munster) *
- Jacob Stockdale (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster) *
- Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster) 33 caps