July 28, 2016
2016 CanAm Rugby Tournament
Photo: CanAm Rugby Tournament
The 43rd CanAm Rugby Tournament in Saranac Lake and Lake Placid, New York will take place on July 28-31, 2016. Matches for all three days will begin at 8am EDT.
On Friday all matches will be played in Saranac Lake on Fields 1, 2 & 3. On Saturday all Saranac Lake and Lake Placid fields will be used. On Sunday, the Championship and Semi-Finals will be played in Saranac Lake and Bloomingdale Fields 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 13.
The Divisions for the Tournament include Men, Women, Men Over 34, 45, 50, 55 and 60 and a Women’s ‘Old Girl’s (Over 40). See team entries. On Sunday there is also a High School 7s match, a Sevens exhibition, and the Fallen Rugger and Military Tribute.
The annual American Flag Rugby Youth Clinic will be held in conjunction with Morris RFC, Saturday July 30 in Lake Placid on Field 7 from 10am to noon. Registration begins at 10am with children in the field by 10:30am. There is a $5 registration fee.
On Saturday night between 7pm and 1am, there will be free shuttle buses at 30 minute intervals. In Lake Placid, the stops are the same as for the trolley. In Saranac Lake, the stops are at the large parking lot at 65 Main St (near Waterhole and Grizle Ts) and at the OTB parking lot at the intersection of Broadway and Bloomingdale Ave., across from Bitters & Bones (formerly Capt. Cook’s).
Official Tournament Email with Rules
This is the official tournament email with rules. A special note: in case of storms, do not leave the playing area unless instructed to do so. If you do leave, stay in your cars or safe location. Many teams had to forfeit in past years because they left and missed their match restarting.
Greetings- All Ruggers,
With 12 days to go until ruggers and supporters from all over converge on Saranac Lake and Lake Placid for the 43rd annual Can Am Rugby Tournament. We have ordered good weather for the weekend, and are looking forward to some great rugby as well as catching up with old friends and meeting and new friends
It is important for ALL PLAYERS to be informed of the tournament information, so please ensure that you get this email to all players on your team who will be coming.
First off- the tournament board wants everyone to enjoy themselves and play great rugby during the weekend. This tournament would not be the success it has become without the support from ALL the rugby players over the years- we all know that rugby is a unique sport- but the tournament board values your involvement and genuinely thanks you for your continued support.
1. ATTENDANCE If your team is no longer planning to attend the 2016 tournament- PLEASE notify me ASAP. At this point in time, There are NO refunds but the tournament fee can be put toward the 2017 Can Am Tournament.
2. TEAM CONTACT if the contact for the weekend is not you (the person receiving this message) please email me your team contact for the weekend- including team name/ contact name/ email/ cell phone. I need a cell phone so that I can contact teams should scheduling issues arise during the weekend. I can only contact you with changes/ updates if I have your number.
3. CLUB WAIVERà Attached is a club waiver that ALL players must sign. Please ensure that waivers are turned into the tournament prior to playing your first game- referees will be aware and games will be held up or canceled if a waiver is not completed.
FRIDAY & SATURDAY GAMES in SARANAC LAKE please turn completed forms in at the green staging by schedule boards.
SATURDAY GAMES in LAKE PLACID tournament personnel will be located under the tent- please turn in here.
4. TOURNAMENT UPDATES-Be sure to follow the tournament on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, and the CANAM WEBSITE- for any and all tournament updates.
5. The 2016 GAME SCHEDULE will be available online beginning WEDNESDAY morning- (so save your emails to me) REMINDER- there will be no printed schedules this year. Schedule boards will be located at both Saranac Lake fields and Lake Placid fields. ALL Teams are guaranteed a minimum of 2 games. Disclaimer being that if teams do not show up for a scheduled game or cancel last minute- there may be “byes” awarded- realize that is not the tournaments blame.
6. DIVISIONS there will be both a CLUB and SOCIAL division for men’s and women’s. Teams will be placed into divisions based on past tournament play as well as league play during the year. Be advised it is the tournaments decision on what division to put teams into, so save the arguments and focus on your game. A lot of time and effort goes into creating a schedule that allows for the most competition and fairness.
7. 4th Annual Quad Rugby USA and Canadian teams will be playing Thursday and Friday at the Lake Placid Training Center. Please come out and support your fellow ruggers. More information can be found on the tournament website/ facebook, or twitter.
8. CANTERBURY continues to be the tournament’s major sponsor and clothing provider. They will have tents set up at all locations during the tournament.
9. FREE SHUTTLE SERVICE between Saranac Lake and Lake Placid will be offered Saturday from 7pm – 2am. The drop off locations will be available on line as well as at the fields throughout the weekend. As in all past years, state police and local police will be setting up a check point at some point during the weekend, and it is not worth it- so put the keys away and be smart.
10. REGISTRATION for the 2017 tournament- July 28- July 30 2017 will be Sunday @ NCCC 12-2. Teams may pay using a credit card/ Paypal (including a fee)/ cash/ check. Funds must be US currency
Please understand the tournament works at length to keep registration fees constant and not raise them, but unfortunately this year we had to increase registration fees due to tournament expenses continuing to increase –
2017 Can Am Tournament Registration Fee Schedule:
Registration and FULL payment on July 31, 2016 $500
Registration and FULL payment Aug. 1, 2016– May 1, 2017 $550
Registration and FULL payment May 2, 2017 – July 28, 2017 $600
10. PARKING- the local police department asked me to remind players and fans to
be mindful of local residences and park in designated spots- please do not block
driveways or park in non spots- cars will be towed at owners expense.
11.DRINKING/SMOKING/ DOGS- It is a NY State law for ANY school fields- they are tobacco free/ dog free/ and alcohol free. There is NO alcohol, NO dogs, and NO tobacco allowed on ANY tournament fields. Please be respectful and adhere to this policy. Coolers will be checked to ensure there is no alcohol in them.
12. SUNDAY FINALS @ NCCC FIELD be advised that there will be professional security staff throughout the campus checking coolers and bags. I cannot stress enough that NO COOLERS or alcohol will be allowed this year- it is a college requirement if we are to continue holding finals here. There will be a beer garden where any person 21 years of age or older may purchase beer or alcohol. We have all attended professional rugby games at different stadiums- and adhere to the requirements.
13. TEAMS MAKING IT TO FINALS It is the responsibility of ALL teams playing in the finals to complete and turn in a team roster prior to final game. Forms will be available at the green staging in Saranac Lake Friday for Old Boys and Sunday for men’s and women’s divisions. Forms should be turned in to the announcing booth at NCCC prior to your game.
14. BEHAVIOR ON AND OFF THE FIELD- The tournament board wants to remind ALL players, teams, supporters and families while they are here that any behavior on and off the field that is disrespectful or unacceptable will jeopardize your attendance at future tournaments. This is our year round community and we continue to work very hard to gain the support of the local residents- please be mindful and respectful.
15. SHOWING UP TO SCHEDULED GAMES- In the past teams making it through to Sunday playoffs and championships have been no shows. Teams who do not show up to a scheduled game will not be allowed to play in the 2017 tournament.
16. YOUTH RUGBY CLINIC Morris Women’s Rugby will once again be assisting us in hosting the youth touch rugby clinic. It will be on Saturday in Lake Placid. Cost is $5 per child. There will be an exhibition game during the finals at NCCC on Sunday.
17. HIGH SCHOOL 7’S The mountaineers will be hosting 7’s for any interested high school player. Registration will be available Friday and Saturday. Games will begin Sunday morning at NCCC with an All Star game during the finals.
18. SUNDAY FINALS/ TRIBUTE TO FALLEN RUGBY PLAYS The final games will be played at the NCCC field. During the finals we will once again pay tribute to our fallen rugby players, soldiers, and law enforcement personnel.
Please email me the names of rugby players who are no longer with us—make sure to include your team name as well.